My Sister's Keeper

When we saw the trailer for My Sister's Keeper, Pamela and I looked at each other with wide eyes, not saying thumbs up or down so much as OMG. Over the last few days I have watched it several times and found it extremely moving and can only imagine how a parent or sibling might feel. Here are some of the quotes that made me want to reach for a pencil. The movie is transcribed here without all the names but those who have seen the movie will likely place these moments.

up in space you got all these souls flying around...looking for bodies to live in.

I'd like to suggest something completely off the record.

It was our fault. We went against nature and this was our comeuppance.

Do you hold her down, or do I?
Don't be dramatic.
You gonna take her ankles, I'll take her wrists? She's not a baby. You just can't trick her.

I know I'm going to die now.

I'm sorry I took all the attention when you were the one who needed it the most. Dad, I know I took your first love from you. I only hope that one day, you get her back.

I'm real sorry.
Don't be. There's no shame in dying.

Hi, how are you?
Good, how are you?
I'm good, thank you.
Have you spoken to the Make-A-Wish people?
What is this? What is this, the "quality of life" speech?
Mrs. Fitzgerald, you might want to consider taking Kate home.
No.
Making her comfortable......managing her pain.
No hospices. What? You think we should take Kate home to die?
What do you want me to say, Sara? It's an option. Look, I know you don't listen to anybody, but it's our job to tell you. Death is a normal process of life. You need to acknowledge that.
No, I don't. Who is this broad?

He has scars on his hands...from graft-versus-host. I could feel them when we were holding hands.
Was that weird?
It was kind of like we matched.

I'm behind you, no matter what. I'll do whatever, and I do. I'm just not sure
you're seeing the big picture.
What big picture, Kel? Spit it out.
I know it's important for you to feel like you never gave up. I mean, who are you if you're not this crazy bitch mother fighting for her kid's life, right? But there's, like, a whole world out there. You don't see any of it, nothing. Sooner or later, you... You gotta stop. You gotta let go.
I can't.

Um, how do I do this? I mean, just get her up and walk her out of here, or?
Discharge her for the day. The insurance company will definitely not approve this...
...so we'll have to re-admit through emergency. But if she happened to be there at,
let's say, 7:00... I just might be there to meet her.
Okay.
It's one day. Kate's been through the wringer, so if it's not gonna make her any worse...I say take the kid to the beach.

Kate's dying and everybody knows it. You just love her so much that you don't want to let her go. But it's time, Mom. Kate's ready.
That's not true. Kate would have told me.
Mom, she did tell you. She told you a million times. You didn't wanna hear it.

Mom's gonna chop me and cut me...till I'm a vegetable.

My sister died that night. I wish I could say that she made some miracle recovery...
...but she didn't. She just stopped breathing. And I wish I could tell you that there was some good that came out of it... that through Kate's death we could all go on living. Or even that her life had some special meaning... like they named a park after her, or a street... ...or that the Supreme Court changed a law because of her. But none of that happened. She's just gone... a little piece of blue sky now. And we all have to move on.

I'll never understand why Kate had to die and we all got to live. There's no reason for it, I guess. Death's just death, nobody understands it. Once upon a time...I thought I was put on Earth to save my sister. And in the end, I couldn't do it. I realize now...that wasn't the point. The point was, I had a sister. She was fantastic. One day, I'm sure I'll see her again. But until then... our relationship continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment